Thursday, July 8, 2010

IPhone

Why is so difficult to accept accept the IPhone for the camera it is. Do technical tools always need to be the highest this or the highest that. The IPhone is the IPhone simple as that -  resolution and image quality are what they are - at least at this point in time. Could be simply a cultural issue - not really know....

There is something organic about the images one can make with the phone, and, on a personal note, I like what the phone can capture. For one, many of Edward Steichen's images were not that technically resolved and he was considered a master. In sports they say "that's why they play the game", and, for photography this holds true - "that's why we capture an image'...we can talk forever about what if and why but the best thing any photographer can do is keep shooting no matter what camera and what resolution is in your hands. It was Chase Jarvis who said, 'the best camera is the one you have with you'.

For me the IPhone becomes a visual diary, artist proof and final image - all in my pocket. Additionally, having the ability to see an image in a larger format instantly is very helpful out in the field.  Use the tool for what it is - see what happens...you will be pleasantly surprised.

The IPhone has become the one camera that is always with me - 'don't go changing - we love you the way you are'.......

1 comment:

  1. Harry I think you're dead on. I am fascinated by the opportunities that result from the iPhone's limitations... I have an original, and I love walking down the streat with it, hitting the button as fast as I'm able, and then constructing time lapses later... the particular latency, the timing of it, is just amazing to me, and it's a function of my rhythm, and my striving AGAINST the limit of how fast I take the images... And it ends up with a feeling I call "syrupy-staccato". That's just one example. Can't tell you how much of the imagery I generate with iPhone ends up in the shows I design...

    ReplyDelete