Monday, April 19, 2010

Church in Saugerties, NY


I was driving around the Hudson Valley on Sunday,  aimlessly, for the most part. I kept passing signposts telling me what the next town was just down the road. Places like Phoenicia, Saugerties and Hudson were sounding all to familiar - like some distant memory of the past that lives inside my head.

This morning while walking the dog I realized that these names were glimpses from my often times mis-spent youth. Being a child of the 60's these towns were seemingly always mentioned in the folklore of those times. To some degree the time spent driving around these places helps me to stay in touch with my past - remembering the morality that was and the innocence of the times. My daughter told me awhile back that I was lucky to be able to relive the 60's again (being 66 now), and I think she is absolutely right about that.

There are distant memories of Woodstock during the 60's, the Filmore East in New York, where I worked, and those trips to San Francisco back in the day - seems like a DC9 comes to mind. Music was always a part of that trip and I keep coming back to a few lines from some songs that made early impressions of me, one being  Jackson Browne;

'I don't know when that road turned on to the road I'm on',

 and,

 'You know I don't know what I'm hoping to find'

Another is from John Mellencamp's 'The Real Life';

'That there's less days in front of the horse, Than riding in the back of this cart'.....

Feels like I am dealing with mortality issues these days - or at bare minimum questioning some old decisions.












No comments:

Post a Comment