Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Homeward Bound


'Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In sixty five I was 21 and running up one-on-one
I don't know where I'm running now,  I'm just running on'.....

Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

I left the Everglades Monday morning at 6AM. The plan was to stay with Doug and Dorian in Jacksonville the first night. On the way I drove Janes Memorial Scenic Drive through the Fakahatchee Strand. The road was fairly primitive at best and about halfway through I remembered I had no cell phone in case of emergency. I was considering what it wold be like to change a tire between the two dark streams that run alongside the road - true New Yorker thoughts. On the other end of the drive is Picayune Strand, an abandoned housing development that never happened - swampland in Florida. There were perfectly linear roads built for homes I would guess - but the roads were mostly dead ends and, of course, I was hopelessly lost. Finally worked my way out of there but did see a sign saying 'drive slow - panthers in the
On Tuesday morning Doug and I went to Black Rock Beach on Big Talbot Island and captured some sunrise images - had breakfast on Amelia Island and then it was off to Charleston for me. Drove mostly on Route 17 - Route 17 is the Route 66 of the east - abandoned buildings line the road - I believe route 17 was the road one wold take to Florida in the 50's and 60's - then the superhighways came and, well, we all know what happened next.
The day ended at the Residence Inn in Mount PLeasant, South Carolina - Tuesday's goal is Virginia Beach. Hoping to catch the ferry from Lewes to Cape May on the way up to New York - I have heard the Cape May beaches are fabulous so I need to see what the fuss is all about. Looking forward to getting home and starting to work on my images from Florida - there was hardly a moment while down there to do more then import them into a hard drive.







No comments:

Post a Comment