Thursday, May 12, 2011

Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy,. Black Oak Arkansas, 1974

'Jim Dandy to the Rescue
Jim Dandy to the Rescue
Jim Dandy to the Rescue
Jim Dandy to the Rescue
Go Jim Dandy! Go Jim Dandy!....Lincoln Chase

This song was covered by  Lavern Baker, Ann Margret, The Dovells and many many others. And it was also covered by Little Georgie and the Shuffling Hungarians....

In 1973 I was living New York City working as a 1st photo assistant by day and moonlighting as a rock photographer. I had images in Rolling Stone, Cream, Crawdaddy and Circus Magazine, some of which are no longer being printed. One day I get a call that they want a photographer to travel to Arkansas (where I can not remember) to photograph Black Oak Arkansas. Well I was the one to go and the band could not have treated this Jewish kid form New York any better. I spent two days living on their compound somewhere in Arkansas making images and talking to the band. A great experience that I have always remembered fondly.

Today's image was one of my favorites. I processed this on the iPhone to call attention to my 'Music and iPhone' presentations - the first of which will be at the Apple Store in Indianapolis, Indiana on May 21 (see poster below for shameless self promo).


Image captured with a Nikon F Camera, ektchrome slide film, scanned into the digital world using an Imacon/Hasselblad scanner. The iPhone/iPad workflow for this can be found on the past few days blog, either iphone-antics.blogspot.com or hsandler.blogspot.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment